OUR HISTORY

The first government school on the site of the present-day Vredenburg Primary School opened in 1880 with just five learners. The school, later known as Vredenburg High School, grew to accommodate 64 learners from Sub A to Standard 6.

As enrolment increased to 230 learners, the school was expanded in 1921 to include classes up to Standard 8. In 1923, the school officially attained high school status, and its first Standard 10 learners completed the Senior Certificate examinations, with all five candidates passing successfully.

In 1932, Professor Blommaert designed the school’s coat of arms, and C. J. Langenhoven revised the school motto to ” JUST THE BEST GIVES SATISFACTION” This motto continues to inspire both learners and staff to strive for excellence and give their very best every day.

 

In 1961, the original school building was rebuilt, laying the foundation for the new Vredenburg High School. As learner numbers continued to grow, the government approved the construction of a new high school, and in 1972 the two schools officially separated. They have since been known as Vredenburg Primary School (the original school building) and Vredenburg High School (the new campus). Mr W.C. Verster was appointed as the first principal of Vredenburg Primary School. A visionary leader well ahead of his time, he dreamed big and, through his innovative approach, established Vredenburg Primary School as a school of excellence on the West Coast.

During these years, Afrikaans remained the school’s primary language of instruction and a source of pride for both the school and the community. The school later became a parallel-medium institution, while Afrikaans continued to flourish. Today, we offer four Afrikaans Home Language classes and one English Home Language class in every grade. Our language and heritage remain an important part of our identity, reflected in our achievements in academics, sport, and culture. At the same time, we embrace learners from diverse language backgrounds and foster an inclusive and welcoming school community.

In 1925, Mr J.P.A. Lochner was appointed as principal, and in 1948/49 he wrote and composed the school anthem. Following the separation of the two schools in 1972, Vredenburg Primary School proudly retained the original school anthem, which continues to unite generations of learners.

Over the years, Vredenburg Primary School has continued to invest in its facilities, with the generous support of parents and the wider community—an investment in the future of every learner. Between 1974 and 1976, dedicated parents developed the school’s rugby fields through their hard work and commitment. During the decades that followed, numerous infrastructure projects were completed, including a library, mini tennis courts, a swimming pool, sports clubhouse, modernised administrative offices, a computer centre, eight new classrooms for Grades 4 and 5, tennis courts, a fibreglass swimming pool upgrade, a modern media centre, a tuck shop, upgraded sports changing rooms, improved netball and cricket facilities, a pavilion, five new Grade 3 classrooms, secure palisade fencing, data projectors in every classroom, a music centre, an art centre, and, in 2022, the iconic clock tower.

TIMELINE OF OUR SCHOOL

Slide the timeline left or right to view more dates.

1880
The first government school opened with just five learners.
1923
Vredenburg High School established (Grades 1–12).
1932
Professor Blommaert designs the school's coat of arms, and C.J. Langenhoven revises the school motto to its current form: "Just the best gives satisfaction."
1949
J.P.A. Lochner writes and composes the school anthem.
1961
The school building is rebuilt.
1971
Vredenburg Primary School and Vredenburg High School officially separate, with a combined enrolment of 960 learners.
1972
Vredenburg Primary School and Vredenburg High School become two separate schools. School fees were R3 per learner per term.
1974-1976
As both the Primary and High School boys had to share a single small rugby field for practice, parents and learners worked together to develop the current rugby fields by bringing grass sods to school and contributing countless hours of hard work.
1978
The Grade 1 and Grade 2 classroom verandas were enclosed to create additional classroom space. The tarred courtyard between these classrooms, once used to host provincial mini tennis tournaments, was transformed by learners into a beautiful garden. During this time, the school library was also built, further enhancing the school's facilities and learning environment.
1980
The school's swimming pool was built at a cost of R118,000.
1986
The school's sports clubhouse, "Mooimeisiesfontein", was built. The clubhouse was named after the "Mooimeisies", a fishing vessel from St Helena Bay that sank off the West Coast.
1988
A computer laboratory was established, becoming the first of its kind for a rural school in the region.
1996
Mr W.C. Verster retired as Principal, and Mr A. Müller was appointed as the new Principal. By this time, the school had grown to 1,000 learners.
2005
A new tuck shop, "Pokkelpensie", was opened, and modern sports changing rooms were built to support the school's growing sporting programme.
2008
The school's pavilions were expanded, and new mobile pavilions were added to provide additional seating and improved facilities for sporting events.
2022
The school celebrated its 50th anniversary. Mr and Mrs Müller retired on 11 June 2022 after years of dedicated service to Vredenburg Primary School.
2025
Mrs Nicoleen Loubser was officially inaugurated as Principal of Vredenburg Primary School in September 2025. .

OUR CURRENT PRINCIPAL

Mrs Nicoleen Loubser was inaugurated as the new Principal of Vredenburg Primary School in September 2025. After serving as Acting Principal for almost three years, Mrs Loubser was officially appointed as Principal of Vredenburg Primary School with effect from 1 April 2025.

Previous Principals of Vredenburg Primary School

  • 1972 – 1996: Mr W.C. Verster
  • 1996 – 2022: Mr A. Müller
  • 2025 – Present: Mrs Nicoleen Loubser

THE 1996 KWARTELTJIE

Die Kwarteltjie was the official school newspaper of Vredenburg Primary School. Over the years, its name changed to Windmakertjie. Take a closer look—you might even spot someone familiar in its pages!

THE ORIGINAL LETTER OF APPOINTMENT OF THE LATE MR WILLA VERSTER AND THE SCHOOL ANTHEM

It is a rare privilege to delve into the archives and uncover the original letter of appointment of our very first Principal.

Take a moment to explore this remarkable piece of our school’s history, together with the original school anthem that has inspired generations of learners.

An example of our school anthem from 2 December 1971